Thursday, September 30, 2010

Namesake – forced or forsaken


Failing to understand one’s name is small compared to failing to understand oneself. Was watching the movie adaptation of the best seller book ‘Namesake’, and I realized the importance of the values imbibed in me by my family. No matter how open minded or modern I may become, the moral police that those values instill in my sub-conscious is something to comprehend and deal with. I never felt the power of culture, society and community in this fashion. Even though lately have discussed these at length with my classmates. I guess still not clear enough.

The world continues to bewilder me, as I try to see it this time around. Many a question and even more troubling feelings which can’t be put to words. Studies, random statements made out in some context; make more sense to me in ways not meant by the speaker. The other day my faculty said “vernacular is everything when one resorts to one's own capacity”, and I was drawn to note it down even though I didn’t understand the gravity of the statement. Now it dawns on me. I can write a book on vernacular, but not today.

Tonight (30-09-10) India sleeps in a kind of anxiety and may be fear that my grandfather might have experienced at the night of 15th august 1947. Ayodhya the jinxed land awaits a verdict later today. A verdict no matter which name of the god it sites, will surely have repercussions which may redden our streets. In all my sanity I wish for nothing of this sort. Who decides what’s vernacular to that once sacred and now a Pandora’s Box. Does anybody live upstream?

Valuing the sacred is the theme for Berkeley prize essay contest this year. But I believe valuing the name is more important nowadays. I don’t know what’s so sacred about something, but yes if you can put an appropriate name to anything, it turns sacred.

“It’s been going on for two million years, and this is the way the world spins.” This line made me fume in the context it was made, but the meaning holds value. Not for the environment as put by my ‘I know all’ friend, but in the context of culture and emotions. I was juggling the differences and relations among culture, society, community, ethics, values, morals, and humanity. But now I know just one thing for sure that humanity is something which exists when all the others cease. I so much wish I could understand the rest or at least what I am writing right now.

Value the sacred or scared, kill for your identity, impose it on others, escape from reality, do on to others as they do on to you, or may be to everyone who carries the similar name. In the name of culture, in the name of vernacular, in the name god, ultimately to forget all in the flowing blood and to be as human as nature allows.

Everything resorted to one’s own capacity.

What’s in the name?

It’s all in a name.

By the way my name means unruffled.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't know you were capable of such intellectual depths.. Haha..

    ReplyDelete